Friday, January 9, 2009

This Is How The iPhone Will Die

For years Palm has been losing users because it's OS is very outdated and it's biggest partner Sprint has been losing subscribers to the iPhone. I have toyed with the idea of jumping ship from my Palm for several years, hell I have been trying out new phones from T-mobile whenever possible, just looking for an opportunity to jump ship to an iPhone killer that I really liked. The problem is nobody makes the perfect phone and as far as I am concerned, Sprint still provides the best service at the best rates. I have described my ideas for the perfect phone to friends, but I often get the usual "just get the iPhone, it does all that. Well actually, it doesn't. For all the nifty bells and whistles on the iPhone, it still doesn't do the top essential things I think any great phone should: have a real textile keyboard that can be used comfortably/easily with one thumb, have the ability to view any webpage (not just those tailored to cellphones), cut/paste editing, a quality 3 megapixel or better camera with LED flash and MMS text messages are higest amung the myriad of things the iPhone doesn't do, or does very poorly.

So I was very excited to learn that Palm is releasing a new phone that meets ALL of my expectations...the Palm Pre'. A few specs & videos are below. Read the full run down at Ars Technica; especially interesting is the new OS/UI which looks to make even Apple's coverflow look antiquated. The video with the most info about the new OS is the last one. Enjoy!
  • EVDO Rev A. (courtesy of Sprint)
  • 802.11 b/g
  • GPS
  • Bluetooth (with stereo out support)
  • 8GB of storage
  • TI OMAP processor
  • 3.1-inch multitouch screen with 320x480 resolution
  • Sensors: accelerometer, proximity, ambient light
  • 3MP camera with LED flash
  • Speaker for speakerphone and music
  • Replaceable battery
  • MicroUSB connector for charging, with USB 2.0 support.
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Phone works with slide-out QWERTY keyboard either open or closed.


Full Palm Pre CES presentation available at Palm.com

No comments: